“…the landscape is the perfect vehicle for expressing the joy I have for the world that surrounds me.”
Orchard's Ago, 24x24, oilMarc Hanson, OPAM $5200
House Left, 30x48, oilMarc Hanson, OPAM $12,500
SOLD-Dockery Farm, 27x21, oilMarc Hanson, OPAM • $5,100
SOLD - Woodland Interior., 30x36, oilMarc Hanson, OPAM • $9,750
SOLD - Rock Slide, 30x40, oilMarc Hanson, OPAM • $10,800
Passage, 26x46, oilMarc Hanson, OPAM • $10,800
SOLD - Tallahatchie Rookery, 36x36, oilMarc Hanson, OPAM • $10,800
Marc R. Hanson, O.P.A.M.
Having grown up in a military family, Marc’s youth was spent on the move. He was born in Oxnard, California and spent some of his early school years there. But his geographical resume soon included Alaska, Florida, Arkansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Norway. After his father’s retirement from the Air Force, Marc’s family settled in the small northern California community of Loomis. Marc began college as a biology major, but soon applied to and was accepted into Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, majoring in illustration. After Art Center and a brief stint as a staff illustrator in Sacramento, California, Marc moved to Minnesota where he lived for 33 years while raising a family and pursuing his art. He currently lives in northern Mississippi.
“I have pursued a career as a painter for many years now. Along the way my methods, materials and focus have evolved. A naturalist at heart, the landscape is the perfect vehicle for expressing the joy I have for the world that surrounds me. My real interest and challenge as a painter is how to best manipulate the core principles of painting into effective visual statements. I’m most successful when I’m able to communicate that joy to the viewers of my paintings.”
Marc teaches landscape painting workshops locally and nationally.
“I love working with other painters in their pursuit to better their craft. My goal is not to have them assimilate my style and technique, but to teach them how to more closely examine the subject and apply the principles that representational painters must follow to become effective visual communicators.”
Marc has shown his work in galleries and museums nationally and internationally since the early 1980’s.
He is a Master Signature Member of The Oil Painters of America (O.P.A.M.), having won an Award of Excellence at the O.P.A. National Exhibit in 2000, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011. In 2011 Marc’s painting ‘Right or Left’ was awarded Bronze Medal for Painting at the OPA National Exhibition in Coeur d’Alene, ID. Among his many awards, he’s placed four times in The Pastel Journal’s ‘Pastel 100’ competition.
Select Honors and Publications:
- Best of Show: ISAP International Society of Acrylic Painters 2nd Annual All- Member Online Exhibition
- OPA Regional Exhibition, Illume Gallery, St George, UT ~ Gold Medal Master Signature Division
- OPA Regional Exhibition, Anderson Fine Art, St. Simons’ Island, GA ~ Silver Medal Master Signature Division
- Olmsted Plein Air Invitational, Atlanta, GA – ‘Cezanne Best Landscape’ Award 2017 ~ Olmsted Plein Air Invitational, Atlanta, GA – ‘Jurors Choice Award’
- Olmsted Plein Air Invitational, Atlanta, GA – ‘Cezanne Best Landscape’ Award 2016 ~ Oil Painters of America – Master Signature Member Status (OPAM)
- RMPAP Paint the Park – Best Body of Work and Award of Excellence
- RMPAP (Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters) Paint the Park – First Place
- RMPAP Rocky Mountain NP Plein Air- Best Body of Work
- Book – Oil Painting Secrets with the Masters (Auth. Cindy Salaski/Publisher Northlight Books)
- Plein Air Magazine – Feature and Cover 2013, Featured 2005
- Southwest Art Magazine – Feature and Cover 2012
- Art Collector – 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- The Artist’s Magazine – 2005
- The Pastel Journal – 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2011
- Book – Oil Painting Secrets with the Masters (Auth. Cindy Salaski/Publisher Northlight Books) – 2014
- Additional articles in the trade magazines where his art has been featured – 2011- 2017
- Oil Painters of America (O.P.A.) ~ Signature Member